Almond & Plum Tart
Impress your family or your guests with this easy-to-make frangipane tart. With it’s lightly sweet almond shortbread crust that just gets pressed into your tart pan, there is no rolling dough out, using chilled butter in a food processor or any special “technique” in making this simple crust. And the delicious chewy, sweet filling is made without even breaking out your mixer! Add some plums, berries, peaches or rhubarb and make a tessellation pattern or any pattern your ❤️ desires or just sprinkle just a few berries on top. When you pull this out of the oven, you’ll feel like a pastry chef 👩🍳!
You can have fun with the top pattern, and you do not have to fill the entire tart with fruit.
Almond and Plum Tart
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
- Yield: 8-12 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: easy
- 1 stick (112 grams) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (100 grams) sugar
- 1 ¼ (160 grams) cups flour
- 60 grams almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 stick (112 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (125 grams) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (120 grams) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons (16 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom, ideally freshly ground from about 20 pods (optional)
- about 6 small plums, pits removed and cut in about 6–8 slices each (or you can also use fresh berries, rhubarb, peaches, apples, or pears)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar for topping (optional)
- Confectioners/icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 205C/400F.
- Combine all crust ingredients in a bowl and with your fingers mix until you can form large clumps when the dough is pressed together.
- Press firmly into a 11 inch/28 cm tart pan and up the sides. (You can see a quick demo of this process in the “demos” section of my instagram stories.)
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes until the crust is very lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven, turn the temperature down to 175C/350F (to get ready to cook the tart with the filling) and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes.
Frangipane (almond filling)
- With a spatula, mix together the butter, sugar, almond flour, and all purpose flour.
- Add the vanilla, cardamom (if using), and eggs and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Place the mixture into the crust and spread evenly with an off-set spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Arrange the top with the fruit*. It can be filled completely or you can just randomly scatter it. *Important! If you’re using strawberries, be sure to macerate them first to get rid of some of the liquid. In a bowl, toss the sliced strawberries with a teaspoon or 2 of sugar and allow them to sit for about ½ hour. Pour the berries into a stainer and discard the juice -or use it as a topping for ice cream or mix with some soda water to make a strawberry spritzer.
- Cook for about 40-50 minutes until the almond filling seems dry and firm.
This tart can be served warm or cool. You can serve with vanilla ice cream, crème anglaise, whipped cream or just dusted with some confectioners/icing sugar.