What do beets, oranges, and fresh mint have in common🤔??? They all went into this fresh, crunchy, sweet, tangy, flavorful salad I made 😄 (a bit of a trick question 😉). I also added toasted pumpkin seeds, feta cheese, and pomegranate and tossed it all together with a tahini lemon vinaigrette. It was just what I (actually all of us) needed after a lot of hot chocolate tasting and leftover cake eating we did last week 🙄!!
Below are some tips on how to roast beets:
Cut the tops of the beets off, give the beets a good rinse, place on a piece of aluminum foil, drizzle with olive oil, and add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Wrap the beets in the foil, place on a baking pan (just in case the juice leaks, it’s better to have it on a pan than at the bottom of your oven), and then place the pan into your preheated oven. I actually roasted all 6 of these together and they took about an hour to cook.
After 45 minutes, check on the beets. When you can easily pierce them with a fork like this, your beets are perfect!
When your beets have cooled, gently rub the peel with a paper towel. The peel should come off very easily.
Tahini Lemon Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional but yummy – if you are adding zest, do it before you add the juice since juiced lemons are hard to zest)
- 1 ½ teaspoons tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon water or more (if vinaigrette is too thick)
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 80 grams (a rounded ½ cup) pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- A large pinch of salt
- 3 medium beets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- Tahini Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 bag (120 grams/4 oz) of your favorite lettuce
- 3 medium-size Beets, roasted and sliced or cut into chunks
- 100 grams (about 4 tablespoons) crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 1 orange, peeled and cut up
- ⅓ cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 15–20 grams fresh mint, roughly chopped (about 1 cup loosely packed)
Tahini Lemon Vinaigrette
Combine all ingredients in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Place the lid on tightly, and shake vigorously until ingredients are well combined. The vinaigrette will get quite thick, so add water a tablespoon at a time until you reach a consistency you like. I usually use about 1 tablespoon to get to the right consistency.
Maple Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
Preheat oven to 375F/190C
This recipe is from Ottolenghi. In his book it’s a topping for a soup, but I actually love these in salads, on top of yogurt or ice cream, or even just to munch on. What’s leftover, you can store in an airtight container on the counter for a few weeks, but I’m sure you’ll find tons of other uses for them and they will not last that long!
Mix all together and toast in the oven on a parchment lined baking pan for 15 minutes, turning 180 degrees at the 1/2 way mark.
Preheat oven to 430F/220C
Place all ingredients on a piece of aluminum foil. Toss (or sort of swish around) the beets in the oil, salt, and pepper (they don’t have to be totally coated) and then loosely wrap the aluminum foil around the beets. (You can do a few beets in each foil pouch.)
Place in the oven on a baking pan for 45 minutes. Remove the beets and carefully open the foil. BE VERY CAREFUL AS HOT STEAM WILL COME OUT OF THE FOIL! Pierce beet with a fork. It should go in easily. If it still feels like the beet is hard, place it back into the oven and test every 15 minutes until beets are soft and easy to pierce with a fork.
Assemble the Salad
Place all salad ingredients except for cheese and vinaigrette in a large bowl. Add about ⅔ of the vinaigrette and toss gently to combine. Add the cheese, more dressing if needed, toss again, and enjoy!
This salad pairs well with chicken, shrimp, or salmon.