Dairy Free Veggie Bisque Mac & Cheese
There are veggies 🥕🥕 hiding in this mac & cheese 👀, but you’d never even know it! A while back, I posted a recipe for “dairy-free veggie bisque” (recipe HERE and below), and this mac & cheese uses that soup instead of milk, cream, butter, and flour as the base. It’s not some uber healthy version of mac & cheese -there’s a nice creamy sauce with plenty of cheese. Instead it’s one of those things where you can enjoy a pretty authentic mac & cheese and feel great after you eat it!Print
Dairy Free Veggie Bisque Mac & Cheese:
- 1 pound or 500 grams of pasta (you can use gluten free) elbows, bow ties, fusilli, or shells all work well, cooked al dente according to the package instructions
- 3 cups Dairy Free Veggie Bisque (recipe HERE or below)
- 8 oz (227 grams) cheese, grated or sliced in thin slices – I use a mix gruyere and cheddar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- A few gratings of Parmesan cheese for the top (optional)
- ⅓ cup panko or gluten free breadcrumbs (1 oz.)
- ½ teaspoon salt + freshly ground black pepper to taste
Dairy Free Veggie Bisque
- 3 or 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large head of cauliflower cut into florets – weight after its cut up should be about 32 oz
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ¼ inch thick rounds – weight after its cut should be about 24 oz
- 2 medium onions (10.5 oz), diced
- 5 medium stalks celery (7.5 oz), diced
- 9 cups veggie broth (super-easy recipe follows or use store bought)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 5 medium carrots (1 pound), rinsed but unpeeled with just the tops cut off and roughly chopped
- 2 ½ medium onions (1 pound), roughly chopped
- 8 or 9 medium stalks celery (1 pound), roughly chopped
- 13 cups water
- Preheat oven to 180C/350 degrees.
- Pour Dairy Free Veggie Bisque into a medium sized pot and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk in grated cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper until cheeses are completely melted.
- Put cooked pasta into an oven safe dish, pour bisque/cheese mixture in and mix until all pasta is well coated.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs over the top and bake for about 1/2 hour until the top is crispy and browned.
Dairy Free Veggie Bisque Recipe (makes about 3 quarts)
- Place the water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the veggies and simmer covered for an hour.
- Pour through a strainer and press gently on the veggies to get all the liquid out. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Dairy Free Veggie Bisque
- Preheat oven to 220C/430F.
- Line a large baking tray with a piece of parchment paper.
- Toss the cauliflower with about 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil and then transfer to the baking tray. Toss the carrots with another tablespoon of olive oil and transfer to the baking tray. Sprinkle veggies with ¼ teaspoon of salt, place the tray in the oven, and cook for 1 hour. After 30 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and give the veggies a toss with a metal spatula or tongs and return to the oven for the remaining 30 minutes.
- After the halfway point of the veggie roasting, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the veggies are soft. If they are sticking or start to burn, turn the heat down and/or add a few tablespoons of water.
- Add in the roasted veggies, broth and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and puree with an immersion blender. Or, allow the soup to cool for a bit and transfer in batches to a blender or food processor and puree.